Friday 3 July 2009

Pentecost

Extract 93
It’s as if he’s back! We were gathered together as we’ve done so many times these last weeks – waiting, praying, worshiping God. It was the same room we had shared that final Passover in. I was just thinking how strongly I could feel Jesus' presence and as I closed my eyes I could see Him wildly running around, chasing the children or play-fighting with his friends.

Then suddenly I realised that it was real. I opened my eyes to see what looked like a storm in the room. A wild, untamed wind blew around us and flames, fanned by the wind seemed to dance on each person. It wasn’t frightening, it was playful and powerful, uncontrolled yet ordered. I recognised that kind strength. My mind turned back to what John had said: ‘he will baptise you with the Spirit and with fire’.

My heart leaped. It was Jesus, it was God. I went to shout out my news to the others in the room, but as I opened my mouth a joy welled up from deep within me and I began to worship God in a language I had never heard before. We were so excited that we spilled out of the house into the street – going up to strangers and telling them the extraordinary news that Jesus is alive and that he has come back forever!

Extract 94
At first the people didn’t understand what was happening, most assumed we were drunk – babbling in languages they didn’t understand. But as things settled down it became obvious what God was doing. Jerusalem was full of people from all nations and whatever their native language, one of was proclaiming Jesus in their language. Peter took the lead and using his booming voice explained it: ‘These people aren’t drunk – it’s only mid-afternoon’. To be honest, knowing some of Jesus friends, that wouldn’t have persuaded me, but he went on: ‘this is what Joel said “in these last days, God will pour out his Spirit on all people... and they will prophecy” God is proclaiming his goodness, his plan to everyone in their own language – now you have no excuse’. It was incredible – Peter speaking with knowledge, teaching from scripture with authority. Just days ago he was a broken man, unsure of himself, convinced he was useless to God.

Now here he was, filled and anointed by the Spirit of Jesus, feeding his sheep.

Extract 95
I wake up every day with Jesus! No more goodbyes, no more anxiety about what will happen next to him. No more times of loneliness when he was away with his disciples. 'I will be with you always' he said – and he meant it! But it's so much more than having him in the house with me. Of course that's wonderful and fills me with joy every new day, but it's as if I can see in colour now rather than in shades of grey. Now when I look ahead I can see not only with my eyes, but with a spiritual sight that I can't explain. God giving me knowledge and wisdom beyond anything I could have seen with my eyes or understood with my mind. And the certainty of his presence gives me the confidence to act on that insight. Knowing he will pick me up if I fall, redirect me if I go the wrong way.

And it isn't just me – it's everyone who lets my son touch them with his love! And that's more and more people every day – small groups of friends, families, whole villages, even some of the priests and leaders of the people. It seems like everyone is finally rejoicing that Jesus is alive – and being transformed to be like him as his Spirit grabs hold of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment