Monday 22 June 2009

Bethany

Extract 65
So we journey on to Jerusalem for another Passover. There was a big debate this time about whether Jesus should go – we still don't know for sure if he will celebrate in the city or whether he will stay at our friends in Bethany. The crowds love him and that offers a kind of protection, but we know the authorities are terrified that he will start a revolution. God knows the people are ready for it – if he gave the word they would fight to a man. He won't of course, I know enough to know that it isn't that kind of kingdom he keeps talking about. But even his closest friends seem convinced that he's some kind of military leader. We keep hearing what we want to hear and it can only lead to trouble.

Extract 66
We separated last night, Jesus and his disciples staying in the village, still debating whether to go to Jerusalem or not. We arrived in Bethany this morning, it is always so lovely to see Lazarus and his sisters, they have become so special to us over these last three years. So supportive of Jesus, so hospitable when the rest of the world is so demanding. Martha and Mary welcomed us with their usual warmth, but Lazarus is not well – we're hoping he'll recover enough to come with us to Passover just three weeks from now.

Extract 67
Lazarus is worse this morning. I've seen this fever before, it's so like the one Joseph had and I'm frightened for these dear friends. I haven't said anything to the girls, but I've sent my boys to tell Jesus.

Extract 68
Jesus still hasn't come. Mary and Martha know now that I sent for him, and still he hasn't come. Lazarus thinks that the authorities will kill him if he's anywhere near Jerusalem. I didn't realise it was this bad, but even so, this is his closest friend and Mary and Martha don't understand why he doesn't come.

If I'm honest, nor do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment