Sunday 21 June 2009

Mary of Magdala

Extract 63
Every year we still go to Jerusalem for Passover. The boys tell me that I shouldn't, that I'm too old for the journey. It's true that I'm almost 50 but whilst I can, I will still go. It always inspires me, I haven't lost that little girl's excitement at what God did to save his people all those years ago. And somehow I can't escape from the feeling that I am part of the story. So we go. The journey is a great time of holiday, catching up with old friends, time to talk, to try and make sense of all that is happening. And of course time to be with Jesus. Even so he spends a lot of the time with his disciples and friends but we get some wonderful moments together. We talk about happy days from the past, about the strange group of friends he has gathered and recently, I tease him about Mary.

Extract 64
I like Mary, she's so wholehearted. I guess that's what has so often got her into trouble. She can't just dip her toe into anything, it has to be all or nothing. In the past, men, the occult, who knows what else. In the best times she was sneered at, mocked and abused. By the time things had got really bad she was homeless, friendless and at the mercy of everything evil. Mary of Magdala – a name used by mothers to warn daughters, by fathers to strike fear into sons. Many of my friends are surprised at how well we get on, they think I should be nervous of her influence on Jesus, wary of the rumours that might damage his growing reputation. But I like her - no, I love her. If God's plans for me had been delayed a generation, I could so easily see Gabriel standing in front of this Mary, inviting her to be the mother of God's son. But it doesn't stop me teasing Jesus! I know there can never be more than a deep friendship, a brother-sister relationship. Jesus healed her, freed her, rescued her and his calling doesn't include marriage and children.

It hurts to know this, but it doesn't stop me teasing him!

No comments:

Post a Comment