Sunday 7 June 2009

Simeon

Extract 25
Jerusalem is just 4 miles away, so today we went to the temple to dedicate Jesus to God. The shepherds wanted to give us a sheep for the sacrifice, but we knew that the thank-offering had to cost us something. Right now we can't afford anything really, so we bought a pair of doves and trusted that God would understand. The temple was crowded as usual, the courts for women and foreigners taken over as ever by the traders, eventually we came to present Jesus. As we pressed forward a man came up to us - we found out later his name was Simeon and that God had revealed to him years ago that he would see the Christ before he died. It seems that he has been looking for him every day since. I had noticed him earlier - almost blind and clearly looking for something as if he had just lost it. It was quite funny to watch! I was a little worried when he looked our way. It was as if his eyes could suddenly see, he drew a deep breath and rushed towards us. Before I knew it he had taken Jesus from me and held him up as you would an offering. Joseph was about to wrestle him to the ground when he spoke some amazing words. 'Now let your servant depart in peace, for I have seen with my own eyes the salvation of my God'. Tears rolled down his face as he prophesied over Jesus, and again when an old woman called Anna did the same.

I only waited for Jesus for 9 months. These people had been waiting for him for decades, never losing hope, never giving up.

For me and for them, God's promise is baby in your arms real!

Extract 26
It's so long since I wrote, but it's been so busy! The shepherds story spread and people saw how well Joseph fixed the house - gradually we've begun to build a life - small group of friends, enough work so that we can eat. Every now and again the longing for my family rises up and hurts. To see Jesus growing and them not to see him. They'd be so proud. I hear news from time to time - it just distresses me more. Of course, most of the time is taken in feeding, cleaning, making the home.

But just sometimes, I cry a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment