Thursday 11 June 2009

Learning Obedience

Extract 38
I'm writing now because I know I won't get chance tomorrow. I can hardly imagine where the time has gone! Jesus 12! No longer a growing boy but a young man in his own right. We're going up to Jerusalem for the Passover to celebrate - I'm longing to go to the temple again - this time with Jesus - to feel the Father's presence, to be in the holy city again, to renew the reality of my call.

And to see how Jesus responds to all of that in his own right.

Extract 39
Passover was wonderful! I always feel so close to God when we remember all he has done for us. But this year, all together as a family, Jesus taking part as a man, Leah asking the question 'Why this night, why this way?' and Joseph, inviting Jesus for the first time to tell us all why. It was as if he had been there! I could hear the breath in the horses nostrils, hear the ground shake under their hooves, feel the fear as they were pressed towards the water, see again the miracle as Moses struck the water. God rescuing his people.

As I looked at him as he told it I could see him change. No longer a boy eagerly retelling a well known story. But a man, a teacher with wisdom and authority far beyond his years. At the end Joseph put his arm round him and nodded. 'Well done son, I'm proud of you'.

Extract 40
How quickly good times turn to bad. We've just spent the last three days looking for Jesus. For three days I felt I had lost him. At first we thought he was traveling back with friends. By the time we felt the need to look it took a day to retrace our steps. Every moment I was afraid we'd come across someone who would tell us the worst - robbers, slave-traders. But nothing, no sign. When we got back to Jerusalem we went to everyone we knew, but no-one knew anything.

Finally we went to the temple to pray for a miracle - and there I suppose it was. Jesus, debating with the teachers of the law - asking them questions as if he were the teacher and they the disciples. And they were responding, nodding at the quality of his questions, taking him seriously. If we hadn't been so angry, so distressed it would have been a precious moment. When he saw us, he finished his question then came over to us as if nothing was wrong. Joseph was furious on my behalf, but when challenged, Jesus was surprised and at once apologetic. We sat down and he explained. 'For years you have pointed me to the scriptures, told me the stories. You know that I am called to bring good news to the poor. You, mother, you know who I am better than anyone. Surely you knew that once I became a man in my own right, I would need to be about my Father's business?'

As he said those words I felt Simeon's sword pierce my heart a little. Not just for myself at the thought of my son moving on, but for Joseph too. His natural hopes that Jesus would take over from him. And those words, innocently spoken but how they must have hurt 'My Father's business'. Yet Joseph was God's choice as well and instead of a bitter reply borne out of disappointment, Joseph said 'Indeed you must, it is what we have given ourselves for Jesus. It is what we have suffered to bring about. But not yet, not like this. Up till now you have been obedient to us because it was your duty as a child to his parents. Now you need to learn to be obedient out of choice, out of love. Then you will be ready to fulfill all our Father has for you.'

Jesus looked at Joseph and a broad smile lit his face. 'You’re right’ he said ‘thank you!' Without looking back he said simply. 'Two carpenters in Nazareth then' and with that he swung Leah to his shoulders and marched off towards home.

No comments:

Post a Comment