Monday 29 June 2009

The Third Day

Extract 84
In just a few minutes it will be daybreak, the Sabbath will be over. My mind goes back to the Magi and the gifts they brought. Now of course I understand Myrrh. They knew. 'Must not the son of man suffer – and then be glorified?' How often we only hear what we want to hear.

So now, Mary and I will go to the tomb and anoint my son. Strange, I feel more for Mary than for myself. She has lost so much and had poured out so much on Jesus. How lost she looks. For her sake, I need to do this with her.

Extract 85
As we approached the tomb in the half-light, for a moment it seemed as if we were back at Bethany, outside Lazarus' tomb. Now I understood why Jesus had wept. Not for his friend who would soon be raised, but for death itself. For those who would, just a few days later, be stood outside his tomb.

My thoughts were scattered a moment later as an earthquake hit the garden. Both of us fell and when the dust settled we saw that the guards had gone and the stone was rolled away. A thrill went through my heart 'even the stones recognise him', but Mary was distressed assuming something even worse had happened. When we reached the tomb we couldn't see inside, it was still too dark, but one thing was clear. Jesus was not there. As we turned around two angels stood in place of the guards and asked simply 'Why do you seek the living amongst the dead?' Again my heart raced, could it really be? But Mary could not be consoled, could not hear anything other than what her mind and heart had told her for years. 'You are a worthless woman, nothing good ever happens for you – and when it does it is taken away'. Gently I led her back to the house, quietly giving thanks to God, frightened that my heart would overflow and sweep me away.

Extract 86
I'm in the house alone for a few minutes. Peter had come back whilst Mary and I were out. He looked ashamed and as soon as I told them about the empty tomb, he and John ran off for something to do. Mary couldn't stand the silence so she too has gone back to the garden.

But I don't need to. I know. It's the third day. I know Jesus, he'll deal with the boys later. But he'll want some time with Mary first. She needs healing, restoring. She needs to know that he will always be there for her.

That's what Jesus does. He puts the universe to one side to focus on the one. And he does it for everyone. A new covenant, in his blood. A new beginning, a new freedom, a new wholeness from his broken body.

It's getting light. The light of the world is back and nothing can ever put it out..

No comments:

Post a Comment